Bring some Italian flavour to your festivities this year with Winter Spiced Arancello, a sweet orange liqueur and the more exclusive, wintry relation of the very popular Limoncello.
Served neat, or with a spoonful of whipped or heavy cream on top to create Crema di Arancello, its warm spices ooze Christmas spirit and create a unique alternative to traditional Christmas drinks. It could even make a unique homemade gift for a friend.
Follow The Merchant Hotel’s recipe to create a warm and delicious Arancello to enjoy in your home, or alternatively join us in The Merchant’s Cocktail Bar, and allow one of our skilled mixologists to whip up a seasonal tipple instead.
· 1 cinnamon stick
· 3 cardamom pods
· 1 vanilla pod
· 5 cloves
· 1l bottle vodka
· 500g caster sugar
· 500ml water
1. Remove the zest from the oranges using a peeler, making sure that none of the bitter white pith is left on the peel.
2. Place the zest, spices and vanilla pod in a large Kilner jar, and pour in the vodka. Seal and leave for a week, shaking the jar each day.
3. After one week, boil a kettle of water. Place the sugar in a heatproof bowl and pour over 500ml boiling water, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Allow to cool.
4. Add your sugar water to the vodka mix and leave for another week, shaking the jar regularly.
5. Strain into decorative bottles, discarding the peel and spices, and store in a cool place until Christmas.
6. If you wish to gift to a friend, drop some fresh spices and peel into each bottle to decorate - but be careful, as they will continue to impact flavour.