We have all heard of the term “Superfood” but do we really know what this means? In simple terms, Superfoods are food sources which will help fight disease, preserve energy levels and contribute to the maintenance of a healthy weight. There are many foods today which have or even claim to have these nutrient properties and it can be overwhelming to choose which foods to include in your diet. We have created two simple recipes combining these fundamental ingredients to offer a natural energy boost, just what you may need to get you through the long winter days.
Chai and Protein Smoothie
This is a great way to set you up for a busy day or after a workout as it also aids muscle recovery. This smoothie includes protein which is an excellent source of amino acids, which are said to reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Blueberries are rich in antioxidants and low in calories. They are also a good source of fibre, vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. Chai seeds and flax seeds are very high in Omega-3 fatty acids. All of these ingredients combined make the perfect superfood smoothie!
· 450 ml unsweetened almond milk
· 30 g vanilla whey protein
· 20 g blueberries
· 1 tablespoon chai seeds
· 1 teaspoon stevia to sweeten
1. Add all ingredients into a blender and combine until smooth.
Merchant Top Tip: Make the night before to cut down preparation time and remember to shake well before comsuming.
Blueberry and Flax Seed Flapjack
Flapjacks are another excellent source of energy but often supermarket bought ones contain more calories than a chocolate bar and more butter and sugar than oats. Our personal trainers at The Gymnasium at The Merchant Hotel have created a recipe which help aids healthy digestion, preserves energy levels and maintains a healthy weight but not forgetting taste- it’s packed full of flavour too!
· 300g of rolled oats
· 25g dried cranberries
· 25g dried blueberries
· 3 tablespoons of Manuka honey
· 2 tablespoons of skin off crushed hazelnuts
· 1 tablespoon of flax seeds
1. Place oats, cranberries, blueberries and hazelnuts on a baking tray to roast until golden brown and allow to cool.
2. Add all ingredients into a blender add the honey and flax seeds to form a dough like consistency allowing you to shape the mix into cookies.
3. Refrigerate for 2 hours to set
To find out more about our gym membership and personal training please contact us on 02890234888 email firstname.lastname@example.org