Branching out with your summer fruits? Why not try greengage plums, a fruit seasoned throughout the summer months and typically cultivated in Europe. This freestone fruit is green in colour, approximately the size of an apricot and is perfect both to eat fresh and as an ingredient for desserts and cakes. Complementary flavours include tropical fruits, citrus, butter, chocolate and vanilla; all lending themselves to this delicious trifle recipe, taken straight from our exceptional pastry chefs!
For the greengage compote
· 4 greengage plums, quartered
· 1 vanilla pod, with seeds scraped out.
· 50g sugar
1. Place the plums, vanilla and sugar into a pot
2. Cover slightly with water and simmer on a low heat until soft
3. Drain and leave to cool
For the passion fruit jelly
· 9 leaves gelatine
· 150ml passion fruit purée
· 150ml stock syrup*
1. Soak gelatine leaves in cold water
2. Place sugar and purée and stock syrup into a pot, and bring to the boil
3. Add the gelatine leaves and strain
4. Place in the fridge and allow to set slightly
For the trifle sponge
· 4 eggs, separated
· 150g caster sugar
· 100g plain flour
· ½ teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas Mark 6. Line two 30cm x 45cm baking trays with baking parchment. Fit a large piping bag with a plain round tube.
2. Place egg whites in bowl and whisk until soft peaks start to form.
3. Slowly add two tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
4. In another bowl whisk the egg yolks and remaining sugar until thick and very pale in colour.
5. Sift flour and baking powder
6. Fold half of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, fold in the flour and baking powder, and then add the remaining egg whites.
7. Transfer the mixture into your pre-prepared piping bag and pipe out onto a prepared baking tray, creating “fingers” with an approximate size of 5cm x 1.5cm.
8. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
For the Tonka bean pastry cream
· 800ml full fat milk
· 200g egg yolks
· 1 whole eggs
· 150g caster sugar
· 30g cornflour
· 30g plain flour
· 2 Tonka beans, grated
1. Whisk the eggs, flour and sugar until pale in colour and thick
2. Combine the milk and Tonka beans into a pot, and bring to the boil
3. Slowly add half of the milk and Tonka bean mixture to the egg mix and whisk again.
4. Add the rest of the boiled milk into a fresh pot, along with the whisked egg mix and cook until the mixture begins to bubble
5. Remove from heat, place in a fresh pot and cover with Clingfilm to prevent a skin forming. Leave to cool.
To assemble the trifle
1. Add the quarters of the greengage plums into a trifle glass along with a finger of the trifle sponge
2. Fill 1/3 of the glass with the passionfruit liquid jelly ensuring the sponge fingers are soaked completely
3. Place in the fridge to set
4. Pipe the tonka bean pastry cream on top of the jelly
5. Serve with whipped cream and chocolate shavings
*To make a stock syrup simply dissolve 60mls caster sugar into 90mls of warm water (cooled, boiled water).