Chutneys are the perfect condiment this season and we have created an easy to follow recipe championing the stoned fruit of the season, plums. Not only does chutney make a delightful accompaniment to a cheese board or a cold meat selection, it makes a fantastic gift idea for Christmas and because they really improve with age you can make this weeks in advance.
Our chefs pair this chutney beautifully with chicken liver parfait in Bert’s Jazz Bar at The Merchant.
· 700 g of plums, halved and stoned
· 3 shallots finely chopped
· 5 garlic cloves, crushed
· 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
· 150 ml Port
· 150 ml red wine
· 2 limes, zest and juice
· 200 g caster sugar
· 1 medium hot chilli, finely chopped
· 150 ml red wine vinegar
· Salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients (apart from the sugar) into a large pot.
2. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium to low temperature.
3. Once plums have broken down take off lid and cook until reduced slightly then add sugar and continue to cook until thickened up.
4. Taste for seasoning.
Merchant Top Tip: To test if the chutney is ready, run a spoon gently across the top of the chutney. The spoon should leave a trail and no excess vinegar should run into it - if vinegar quickly fills the trail then it's not quite ready.
To make a booking at Bert’s Jazz Bar please contact us on 028 90234911