As one of the most important components of your festive meal, creating exceptional stuffing is something of an art form. Of course, there are many ways to create the perfect stuffing. From versions that include sausage meat to vegetarian alternatives, but what is paramount throughout is that all-important combination of flavour and texture. Adding The Merchant Hotel’s touch to your Christmas dinner, enjoy our simple but effective recipe that is certain to complement your centrepiece this festive season.
· 2 medium onions, diced
· 1 garlic clove, peeled
· 2 tsp fresh thyme
· 4 leaves of fresh sage
· 150g roasted chestnuts
· 300g unsalted butter, diced
· 100g chestnut puree, unsweetened
· 300g breadcrumbs
· 250g vegetable or chicken stock
· Pinch of sea salt/white pepper
1. Place the diced onion, butter, garlic, thyme, sage and a pinch of salt into a large pot, and heat on a medium heat until soft.
2. Add the chestnut puree and cook until smooth.
3. Add the breadcrumbs and cook for 3 minutes, before adding the stock and continuing to cook on a low heat until the mixture starts to bind together.
4. Fold in the roasted chestnuts and season to taste.
5. Add to your poultry or shape into individual portions and place in the fridge to reheat the following day.