Are you searching for the perfect stocking filler? For many, homemade gifts are the best gifts; packed with personality, thoughtful and in this case delicious. When it comes to all things edible, it’s hard to beat a rustic chutney, packaged in a good quality jar and thoughtfully decorated.
At The Merchant Hotel, our personal favourite is our fig and apricot chutney, a tasty combination that is perfect with cheese, charcuterie, pâtés and terrines. Put yourselves in the hands of our expert chefs and give our tried and tested recipe a go!
· 500g black figs, stone removed, roughly cut into 1.5cm pieces
· 110g pear, peeled, cored, roughly cut into 1.5cm pieces
· 80g dried apricots, finely sliced
· 1tsp yellow mustard seeds
· 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 45g sugar
· 1 small orange, zest removed and juiced
· ½ lemon juiced
· 45g walnuts, roasted and chopped
· 45g hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
· 55ml port
· 55ml Madeira wine
1. Place the port, balsamic, Madeira wine, sugar and mustard seeds in a two litre capacity pot and simmer to reduce the volume by half at a medium to high temperature.
2. Add the lemon juice, orange juice and zest, reducing the volume by half once again.
3. Add the pear and allow to soften for a few minutes; then add the fig, cooking at medium heat until the fruit is soft.
4. Remove from heat and add the apricot, hazelnut and walnut, stirring until evenly distributed.
5. Place on a flat tray covered in greaseproof paper and refrigerate.
6. Once chilled this chutney can be placed in a sterilised preserving jar and kept in the fridge for 1-2 months.