Spice up the autumn months with the vibrant flavours of The Merchant Hotel’s Cocktail Bar. The hotel’s renowned cocktail menu includes an encyclopaedic collection of drinks, from long and elegant, to rich and fruity, many of which have been uniquely created by our expert mixologists.
Our distinctive and flavoursome Señorita Cucurbita adds an autumnal twist to the popular Jamaican Daiquiri, taking inspiration from the flavours of a Central America squash known as Curcurbita Moschata. Using butternut squash (a close relative of the Curcurbita Moschata) to create a sweet cordial-like liquid, and a small extract of ginger to add a hint of Caribbean spice, this cocktail has a rich and intense flavour that perfectly encapsulates the season.
The Señorita Cucurbita contains Appleton VX Jamaican Rum, an authentic Jamaican export produced in Jamaica’s oldest sugar estate and distillery. As one of the few rums to be produced in a unique and fertile terrain, the weather conditions, soil and geographic demarcations impart a unique quality to its flavour and contribute to the cocktail’s distinct flavour.
40mls Appleton VX Jamaican Rum
30mls Roasted Butternut Squash Cordial (find recipe below)
15mls Fresh Lemon Juice
2 ½ ml Fresh Ginger Extract
1. Slowly bake butternut squash at 90°C for 100 minutes until soft and sweet
2. Blend with 150ml water and 50g caster sugar to achieve a consistency similar to cordial
3. Add the cordial and other ingredients to a shaker and shake over ice
4. Strain the contents into a 5oz champagne saucer
5. Garnish with a lemon twist